Today I launched my ‘Reading with Rob’ literacy campaign in a bid to help improve the standard of literacy in the town.
Some 13 per cent of adults in Harlow have trouble with reading and
writing.
Having launched
the initiative at Kingsmoor Primary School, where I read the first chapter of
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe to a class of Year 4
children, I now hope to visit all primary schools in Harlow.
There is a big literacy problem in Harlow and I hope to
do all I can to promote the love of books and reading through ‘Reading with
Rob’.
My hope is that I will be able to go to schools and other groups all
over Harlow to raise the level of interest in reading.
I grew up with books and feel that reading is the most important thing –
even more important than maths. You cannot get by without being able to
read.”
After reading the chapter to the youngsters I presented each
pupil with a special ‘Reading with Rob’ sticker and promised to return to the
Ployters Road school once the children had read the rest of the
book.
Angie Winder, the school’s Year 4 teacher and literacy co-ordinator,
said: “It was nice for the children to have the opportunity to meet Robert and
to hear him read to them which hopefully will further raise the profile of
reading among the pupils.”

I delivered another successful 45 minute spelling strategy workshop to some ‘restarts’ at a local alternative education provider in Harlow. These pupils are not attending mainstream education due to behaviour and engagement issues. I had 100% success and engagement rate and the learners were amazed that by using this simple strategy they were able to spell words backwards and forwards with ease. They believed what I was asking was impossible at the start of the session, now they have improved confidence with literacy – great result. They have also convinced themselves they can learn with ease. Let’s hope they get the support to sustain these magnificent changes. Robert I think we need to speak. I did send you a message the other day asking for your help and advice through linkedIn. Great work by the way Robert. Regards
ReplyDeletePeter Baker