Thursday, December 1, 2011

Strike action was completely understandable


I have complete understanding why some hardworking public sector workers took strike action yesterday given the difficult economic climate.

I have met a number of them in my MPs surgeries, and I believe that negotiations should continue.

I welcome the fact that the Government has listened to representations from meand others.
1. Public sector pensions will remain among the very best available – a guaranteed level and inflation proofed. Only 1 in 10 private sector workers have access to such schemes.

2. Most will see no reduction in the pension income they receive at retirement and many low and middle income earners will in fact receive a larger pension income at retirement.

3. Low earners making under £15,000 a year (FTE) - that’s 15 per cent of the workforce - will not have to make increased contributions. Another million workers earning up to £21,000 will have their total increase limited to 1.5 per cent over three years.

This has been welcomed by former Labour Pensions Minister Lord Hutton as the best deal possible.

We have to face the difficult fact that to be fair to all taxpayers - and many low-paid private sector workers have no pension at all – the Government has introduced a permanent bank levy.

This tax will generate £2 billion - £3 billion a year, to ensure that the rich pay their fair share.

3 comments:

  1. Do you know, it's NOT understandable. To someone like myself, who has always worked hard for a living in the private sector, and has never got anything for nothing in return (nor expected to) it is abhorrent that a section of society believes that the best way to get what they want - regardless of how fair that is to the rest of society as a whole - is to stamp their feet like a load of petulant five year olds who have had their pocket-money docked. I agree entirely that they should negotiate - but as this is how adults work through their arguments, it seems unlikely that this will happen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robyn

    It's you who is sounding like a petulant five year old. The average public sector worker is well educated, well qualified, highly skilled and working under intense pressure, with an ever increasing workload as a result of the cuts in staff numbers.

    Your ignorance of the reality of public service is very apparent. Next time you need a doctor, ambulance, teacher, policeman, armed serviceman or any of the other public services you are so scathing about, I hope you are more courteous. You don't deserve them.

    The sad truth is that the average private sector employee who has made no provision for their retirement will be relying on State handouts to sustain them in their old age. And I'll be paying for you with my taxes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a civil servant and I didn't 'stamp my feet' on 30th Nov. However, I've worked hard in the public sector for 34 years and have never received bonuses to the level the private sector can get. Yet in the 80s when civil service pay increases were linked to the private sector, our pay rises were reduced to take into account our pension benefits. Thirty years later these benefits are being eroded without compensation for all the lost pay increases. Perhaps you were lucky that your hard work resulted in increased profits and your company could reward you. The public sector is a non-profit making orgnaisation working for you - we've got what Governments wanted to pay us with promises of secure jobs and good pensions, Now we find that those promises (used in negotiations)are being broken. Walk a mile in my shoes!

    ReplyDelete