Monday, October 17, 2011

My 2nd Harlow Apprentice: Louis Luck


Since I was elected to the House of Commons, I have campaigned long and hard to improve apprenticeships in our country.

For this reason, I employed the first ever MP’s Apprentice, and now am proud to have the second apprentice: Louis Luck from Harlow College. At just 18-years old, Louis is an outstanding individual, who went through a gruelling College interview process. He will be completing a Level 3 NVQ in Business Administration with Harlow College.

Monday to Wednesday, he will be working with me in the House of Commons. Thursdays, he will be studying in Harlow College. Fridays, he will be out and about with me in Harlow and the surrounding villages, and helping with my regular community visits, surgeries, and social action.


Why have I done this? Ultimately, I have a belief that apprenticeships are not just about economic efficiency, but about social justice too. They give young people the chance to get on the conveyor belt to skills, jobs, and opportunities.

That is why, as well as hiring an apprentice, I have created a national Apprentice Card with the NUS, which gives apprentices that same sort of financial benefits that graduates get. This is set to include high street discounts, networking opportunities, and other benefits, including free legal advice.

I will also soon launch the Parliamentary Academy for Apprentices, with the charity New Deal of the Mind. This will enable every MP to have an apprentice if they want.

Above all, I want to congratulate Harlow College and Essex Council for their groundbreaking apprentice scheme, and thank Mr Dean Barclay who has again given a financial contribution to support Louis Luck this year. It is no accident that this apprenticeship scheme has been praised by Government Ministers, and Harlow College has even won praise from David Cameron himself.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment