Saturday, October 15, 2011

A little bit of scintillation







What is scintillation technology?  Well, I didn't know much about this until I visited an incredible company, Applied Scintillation Technologies (AST), in Harlow yesterday.  As AST states scintillation allows:

 "the conversion of many different radiations into light and image detection.....A comprehensive product range provides the interface for the detection of neutrons, alpha and beta particles, gamma rays, electrons, ions, X-rays, UV/Visible and infra-red radiation, these are used in a diverse range of applications: Including dental X-ray imaging, general radiography and fluoroscopy, therapeutic radiography and oncology, industrial NDT, health and safety, quality control, nuclear decommissioning, mail, baggage and cargo inspection, analytical instrumentation, oil well logging, space exploration and radiation protection". 

As I walked round the company, I saw state of the art machinery and a highly specialised workforce.  I also met with some highly trained and motivated apprentices - all from Harlow College - who are likely to get full-time jobs with AST once their apprenticeships have been completed.

From what I understand AST is pretty unique in the country.  The company's ground-breaking technological work has been recognised across the world.

If you have a scientific bent, you can read more HERE.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment