Friday, October 1, 2010

President of Harlow Division of St John's Ambulance

I was very proud today. After a busy Friday meeting a range of community organisations as MP, I travelled to Chelmsford to the St John's Ambulance County Awards. This is a special annual ceremony of the SJA in which awards are given out for long service and for special deeds done in saving lives.

I was there as a 'layman', surrounded by a sea of uniforms. It was great to see so many SJA men and women getting the recognition they deserved for their service and achievement. One lady - from Harlow - received a medal for forty-nine years of service to the SJA Cadets and was handed her medal by the Lord Lieutenant of Essex.

I was called up and given a certificate in recognition of being appointed President of Harlow SJA Division. I felt very honoured. I had been asked earlier in the year and immediately said yes. As regular readers will know, I have written about the SJA before - having been witness to a few special events.

My support for this incredible community organisation - comes not just because of its importance in saving lives - but because the SJA represents all that is good about being British: decency, a care for others, deep roots in the community, a determination to serve and a strong care for tradition. SJA enriches our nation. Its thoughtful link with faith acts as a gentle guiding spirit in all that it does.

After the event, I went with Emma Hines (who also was a recipient of an award) and her husband Stephen for an enjoyable pint at the Rainbow and Dove in Hastingwood. A very nice end to a great evening.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

St John Ambulance Barn Dance
Harlow MP Robert Halfon is supporting a fundraising event being organised by the St John Ambulance.
The organisation is holding a barn dance at St John's Art and Recreation Centre, St John's Walk, Old Harlow, on Saturday, October 9. Please see the poster for more information.


  Barn Dance Saturday 9th October - click here

No comments:

Post a Comment