Blog for Robert Halfon, MP for Harlow, Essex This blog has moved! If you are not redirected within 10 seconds, please visit www.roberthalfonblog.com.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Harlow Community Update
Here is my latest update of the community organisations I have visited over recent days:
Harlow College. It was back to the College again - this time for a visit by Lord Baker. I had asked the former Education Secretary to visit the College in order to see the College Apprentice Scheme. Lord Baker has been tasked with rolling out pre-apprenticeships for young people across the UK.
Harlow Rotary Club. To the Rotary members lunch. I had been asked to give a speech and set out my work as MP. I talked about apprenticeships and other areas I am working on, including my fight for an extra junction on the M11. The lunch - held at the Canons Brook Golf Club was excellent too, and I could not have been made to feel more welcome.
Any Questions. It was good to participate in a Question Time type panel to discuss health reforms with east of England NHS Managers. Questions ranged wide : from GP Commissioning to the existence of G-D.
Princess Alexandra Hospital. I was asked by PAH to support their campaign for more careful use of Accident and Emergency Services. The Hospital is trying to persuade people to use A&E mainly for emergency and GPs for more routine problems. You can read more details HERE.
Dobbs Weir Residents. I held a surgery for local residents of Dobbs Weir and also met with the residents association. This was to discuss a range of issues including the future of the DW Village Hall, environmental and noise issues. DW have a really active residents group and do much to support DW village and campaign for residents concerns. I am advocating for some issues on their behalf.
George Cook MBE. As you have read on previous blogs, I am strong supportive of strengthening Special Constables. For this reason, It was good to meet Britain's oldest Special Constable, Mr George Cook and discuss with ideas for policing, Mr Cook is also President of the Special Constable Association.
Harlow Tennis Club. I have been a long support of the club and met with officials to get an update of club activities and discuss anti-social behaviour problems with some vandalism of the fences. I will be doing what I can to help on this, through contacting the relevant authorities.
Holy Cross School Roast Dinner Day. One lovely visit was to have a Roast dinner at Holy Cross School. Many parents came too for this special day.
Kingsland Residents. Residents here have a real problem regarding parking. On a previous visit, I had said i would bring an Essex Council Highways Official to visit them. The second visit, with the official, was a useful one as he was able to explain how difficult any changes would be. Unfortunately, there are no easy solutions to making the parking easier in this part of Harlow - as in so many others.
Dizzie Ducks. This new nursery has opened up in Harlow Leisure zone. I had to cut the ribbon for its opening day. Well worth a visit if you have children.
I also went to Harlow Library Careers day, met with Harlow Creditsave, attended Ann Wafula Strike's autobigraphical book launch at WH Smith in Broadwalk and then attended the Playhouse to see the amazing Brenda Taylor dance school extravaganza. I also held my regular constituency surgery. A busy time!
Tomorrow it will be back to the Commons, as Parliament returns from Recess.
by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





where do you stand on GP's having even more power (probably the most powerful group in health already) ?
ReplyDelete