Thursday, April 15, 2010

General Election Day Ten: Optimism and angry apathy





We had a big visit to Harlow today, from Shadow Home Secretary Chris Grayling. He was here to go to Occasio House and meet with staff and youngsters. It was good to talk with some of the young people who have benefited from this Foyer Project and have been given the help and support they need. This isn't just because they have been given a roof over their heads, but also the added value mentoring, careers advice and medical support, all based on the premises. Foyer is a long established charity, that helps youngsters with disadvantaged backgrounds - and homelessness - up and down the country. Our proposals as a party are to build and support charities - especially those at the grassroots, so it was important that Mr Grayling was able to see Foyer at work. There was a good atmosphere at Occasio House and I was struck by the optimism of some of the youngsters we spoke to.

This optimistic note continued at Staple Tye, accompanied by National Conservative Vice Chairman Richard Spring, where I was genuinely encouraged by the good wishes and support from so many. From former Labour voters coming over us, to diehard Conservatives -there was a real feeling that "Brown must go".

There was one disappointing note from some: Angry apathy. I have on the campaign trail met a number of people, who are not just apathetic, but angrily apathetic. This time, there are significant numbers of people who are so very disillusioned with politics and hugely upset about MP's expenses. I am glad as a Candidate to be able to tell these individuals that I get no taxpayer expenses, but there still remains unchecked anger about what went on that has not abated amongst some voters. It is my job over the coming days to try and persuade them otherwise.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment