Friday, February 12, 2010

The cost of mental illness


Yesterday, I attended the excellent Employ-Ability Annual General meeting at Latton Bush Centre. Working around Essex, including Harlow, this charitable organisation helps individuals experiencing mental health issues get back into the job market. We heard some great stories from Employ-Ability clients who had experienced difficulties and were now in gainful employment. I learnt one incredible statistic though. The cost of mental illness in the UK is around £77 plus billions a year. I am sure that if there were organisations like Employability around the country, at the grassroots, providing the necessary mentoring and care, this figure would go down substantially. I am honoured to have been asked to be a co-opted Trustee of this charity.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Sorry Robert but how much has the Prime Mentalist cost us per head?could start with the sale of gold,QE and devaluing my savings,illegal wars,i think at the last count it was something like 12-13k per head,thats the cost of the prime Ministers mental illness except we are all paying,wait till Dave gets to see the books and all the pfi etc off book and he will hope Brown wins the GE because there are going to be some very hard decisions and i would guess whoever wins will be lucky to last 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert this is great that such a rising star in the Conservative Party is tackling the difficult yet very worthy cause of mental illness.

    ReplyDelete