Saturday, February 13, 2010

The master of my fate; the captain of my soul



Off to Harlow Cineworld this evening to see Invictus. It was a great film - somewhat gripping. Directed by Clint Eastwood, it tells the story of how Nelson Mandela helped to inspire the South African Rugby Team to win the 1995 Rugby World Cup. Of course it was sentimentalised, but it was hard not to be reminded just of the uniqueness of Nelson Mandela. Perhaps his greatest achievement was to keep the country together after the years of apartheid. Instead of vengance -reconciliation.

Sadly, post-Mandela South Africa faces significant problems. I have visited that country a couple of times, and in 2008, wrote an article about what I had observed HERE.

P.S. The film is called Invictus, as it was the name of a poem that Mr Mandela read and learnt, whilst he was on Robben Island. The poem's most famous last two lines are:

I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment