




After a magical day yesterday by Lake Muhazi eating goat kebabs on the shore front with some fellow volunteers, we went to visit the Girubunto orphanage on the outskirts of Kigali.
This is a really special place which was set up originally to look after orphans from the 1994 genocide. Since then, a school has been established on the site, for some of the poorer children of Kigali. In 2007, a whole load of Conservatives went to the orphanage (as part of 'Project Umubano') to help repaint and refurbish some of the buildings. Although I wasn't in Rwanda at that time (my first visit was last year), it was a moving experience to see some of the volunteers handiwork. Some of my colleagues who had worked at the orphanage in 2007, were quite emotional at seeing the buildings, the friendly staff and management once again.
In the evening, I and some other Parliamentary Candidates went to dinner at a place called Heaven. This place is on the Kigali Hills and you eat on a hilltop - with the tremendous view of Kigali at night. The coffee at Heaven is astounding - the best Rwanda offers. I had two large mugs and every mouthful felt like I was having coffee and dessert all at once. I had so much coffee that I didn't get to sleep until very late - but it was well worth it!
Today is a busy day. I have to go through lesson plans as my teaching begins tomorrow. The first day is quite nerve wracking as you have to get to know your students and strike a relationship with them from day one. I will be glad when Monday is out the way.
Later we have a Project Umubano briefing (Umubano means fellowship) from Shadow International Development Secretary, Andrew Mitchell MP, who is leading this social action project with the 100 volunteers from the Conservative Party. After, we go to the British Embassy, for an update of Rwanda from the Ambassador. In the evening, we go to visit Hotel Mille de Collines - the Hotel which harboured Tutsi refugees and was featured in the famous film about the genocide 'Hotel Rwanda'. It will be an interesting experience.
P.S. The pictures show us at Lake Muzahi, accompanied by an exotic bird and later at the orphanage.
-- by Robert Halfon Post From My iPhone
No comments:
Post a Comment