

Many of you will know that last year I went to Rwanda to teach English to English Teachers When I came back, the Harlow Star newspaper, published an article from me about my experiences, the country and what I had seen and learnt. You can read the article HERE.
Without doubt, my time there was one of the most moving and incredible experiences of my life, which is why I have decided to go back. I arrive in the capital Kigali on Thursday, ready to begin another two weeks of teaching - in a different school from last time. People ask me why I am going back - to which the answer is simple. I just want to make a difference, albeit in a small way.
This is a country in which one million people were murdered in 100 days in 1994 - in what was a scientific and carefully planned genocide. At the time the world did nothing. Yet, despite the tragedy, Rwanda is a place that learns from the past but does not live in the past. It is a country that has a great future, good Government and is slowly building civil society with a strong economy.
This time I go better prepared. I have done another TEFL teaching course over one long day, to brush up my somewhat inadequate teaching skills. Last year I was terrified before I taught my first class and then found that I loved it. I realised teaching was hard work - but fulfilling and fun too.
Determined this year not to provide free meals to wandering mosquitos, today I went shopping for plenty of mosquito repelllent and some great Summer trousers from the new GO Outdoors Store just off Edinburgh Way (where the old MFI used to be). If you have a discount card, you can get real value for money. The staff in this store could not have been more helpful and friendly and I am glad that GO Outdoors has opened in Harlow.
I am also really excited as, this time, I have some great gifts to hand to my students.
Thanks to the kindness of Harlow Council Chair, Cllr Edna Stevens, I have loads of Council pens to hand out. These are items that will be treasured by the Rwandans.
In addition, Gary O'Donnell, Director of Langley Rangers (a club I am closely involved with having helped with some fund-raising), has given me 55 Langley Rangers Football Shirts. I can't wait to give these out and I know they will be a huge hit with the students, who, like us in England, are just crazy about all things to do with Soccer and the beautiful game! The generosity of Langley Rangers is quite extraordinary, particularly since they go to great efforts to raise funds to pay for their own kit and sundry items.
I can't wait to go back to Rwanda, although I will greatly miss Vanda who has to stay in England to study for her important advanced English exams in August. But, I have promised to bring her back some nice presents!
Rwanda is a truly captivating country. Rolling hills, lush greenery everywhere, dignified and kind inhabitants. I think after last year, my return was inevitable and I look forward to updating my blog - when I can - as email is limited - as to what happens, whilst I am there.
P.S. The pictures show me on my teaching course, with my friend, Pauline Latham, a Conservative Parliamentary Candidate for Mid-Derbyshire who is going to Rwanda. I also include some photos from last year.
No comments:
Post a Comment