For a Government that professes to believe in Community, I have always been amazed that Gordon Brown has been ruthless in shutting down a number of Post Offices in Essex and thousands of others across England.
Post Offices are not just functional shops for mail, they are often the heartbeat of the local community and provide a real source of comfort - as well as convenience to many.
So I strongly support Conservative Essex County Council's (ECC) scheme to open Post Offices across the County - where there have been closures - and subsidise Sub Post-Masters for up to three years to help them turn the Post Office into a viable business.
One of these new Post Offices is not so far from here. Last September, In Buckhurst Hill, Epping, ECC, re-opened a fantastic Post Office that was due for closure . This Post Office has become a tremendous commercial success.
ECC are performing an important service and helping to strengthen our communities as well as ensuring vital services are maintained. This is the kind of Conservatism I believe in - that puts local communities before Government diktats.
No comments:
Post a Comment