Today I went for a second time to the Commons BackBench Committee to bid for a debate on an Office of Fair Trading inquiry into oil companies, and anti-competitive behaviour, in terms of keeping petrol and diesel prices high. If we get the debate, Parliament will be able to vote on whether or not there should be an OFT inquiry - which will put pressure on the OFT to carry out an investigation.
I went this week, armed with a Commons Motion signed by 65 MPs from all parties. You can see the minutes of the meeting and my Motion below:
Robert Halfon, Guy Opperman and Jim Shannon made representations.
Q<8> <Chair:> We have you ongoing now—you are here every week.
<Robert Halfon:> Good afternoon. I am very grateful to you for seeing me again. Last week, the Committee was interested in the debate, but asked me to make sure that it was cross-party. I now have 65 Members of Parliament, from all parties, who have signed the motion. The leader of the Social Democratic and Labour party has signed it, as have a number of Democratic Unionists, significant Labour figures, including Mr Gerald Kaufman, and others. That clearly shows that there is huge demand for the debate.
As I have said, this is nothing to do with fuel duty. It is about Parliament making a decision on whether there should be an Office of Fair Trading inquiry into price fixing by the oil companies. I went through the issues last week and I hope that I have satisfied the Committee's requirements on this occasion.
Q<9> <Chair:> That's very good, but we have found in the past that there is a difference between people putting their name to things and turning up for a debate. Are you confident that these people would come to a debate?
<Robert Halfon:> To be straight with you, I would not like to say that every single Member who has signed will come to the debate, but the vast majority are very passionate about the fuel issue and have said that they would come. I cannot vouch for all of them because of timing and so on.
Q<10> <Jane Ellison:> Well done on getting all those names. As a Committee, we are particularly keen that the smaller parties in Parliament get a good hearing here, so I am particularly pleased that you have got that. Taking the Chairman's point, do you think that you would get that sort of cross-party attendance at the debate?
<Jim Shannon:> We would certainly intend to be there. I cannot tell you where I will be tomorrow, but my intention is certainly to be there. I want to support this, because it is a particular issue in my constituency and also in others. Our party would want to be represented in that debate.
<Robert Halfon:> As I said, the leader of the SDLP and three DUP members have signed it.
Q<11> <Mr Amess:> Robert, is it just an impression that I get, or are you now running the country?
<Guy Opperman:> No, it is true—he is running the country.
<Robert Halfon:> No, I would not want to run the country; the only thing I do want to do is stand up for hard-pressed motorists.
<Guy Opperman:> That's called a soundbite, by the way.
<Robert Halfon:> The Government have made headway, but the oil companies bear a responsibility as well. All I am asking Parliament to do is to have a vote on whether there should be an OFT investigation into the uncompetitiveness of oil companies in terms of petrol prices at the pump.
<Guy Opperman:> Can I add one brief point? Clearly, from a rural point of view there is huge interest in this particular issue and to that extent it is vital that the smaller parties have their say. Therefore, I am certain that the Scottish National party, which has been working hard from another angle on fuel prices, and Plaid and all the other minority parties in the House would be very supportive of this motion, particularly those representing rural areas, which possibly do not get the voice they normally would.
Q<12> <Chair:> We do have one major issue about timing, which is that we now have nothing before the summer recess to allocate. We have provisionally been given two days in the September sitting.
<Jim Shannon:> I was going to say, if you have this debate on 12 July, I unfortunately cannot attend, because I will be in a different place doing another thing.
<Chair:> Thank you.
<Ian Mearns:> It is interesting how, Robert, you have got not only Members of Parliament but police commissioner candidates to sign up.
<Robert Halfon:> If it is September, then it is September, but we believe that this debate is incredibly important.
Q<13> <Chair:> The only other time slot that we have is in Westminster Hall on 12 July.
<Robert Halfon:> This debate will work only if there is a vote, because we want to put pressure on the OFT.
<Chair:> I understand. Thank you very much.
_______________________________________
The Motion:
The Backbench Business Committee meets in public every sitting Tuesday at 1pm to hear representations from Members for subjects to be debated in backbench time. It is helpful if Members complete this form and email it to bbcom@parliament.uk in advance.
LEAD MEMBER(S) Robert Halfon MP, Guy Opperman MP, Martin Vickers MP
TOPIC The Oil Market in the UK, and whether there is price-fixing and/or a lack of competition on the cost of petrol and diesel.
SUPPORTING MEMBERS The House will know that petrol and diesel prices are one of the most fundamental issues concerning the public today. We are certain of at least 100 MPs wishing to speak on a cross-party basis.
SUGGESTED TIME TO ALLOW FOR DEBATE Three to Five Hours in the main chamber, with a votable motion.
Optional: Text of substantive Motion That this House urges the OFT to investigate oil firms active in the UK; calls on the Government to consider the emergency actions being taken in other G20 nations to cut fuel prices, for example President Obama strengthening Federal supervision of the U.S. oil market, and increasing penalties for "market manipulation", and Germany and Austria setting up a new oil regulator, with orders to help stabilise the price of petrol in the country; finally urges the Office of Fair Trading to note that the Federal Cartel Office in Germany is now investigating oil firms active in the UK, after allegations of price-fixing.
ANY FURTHER INFORMATION YOU WISH TO BE CONSIDERED BY THE COMMITTEE Members from all parties have signalled a strong interest in fuel prices.
This debate would consider the non-tax element – the proportion of pump prices that are not determined by fuel duty and VAT. Several other G20 economies have already taken major regulatory action. Britain has not. In addition, the OFT has failed to investigate the UK Oil Market since the late 1990s. Independent British forecourts have repeatedly said that Britain is facing price-fixing from oil wholesalers, and that "fuel deserts" are being created in rural areas, as retail forecourts are driven out of business.
Three to five hours would give adequate time to the debate, for all members to contribute, given the strong interest that there has been on this issue. A votable motion would ensure that the OFT, who cannot be instructed by Ministers, understood the will of Parliament on this issue.

No comments:
Post a Comment