Some good news today.
In June, I learned that the study co-ordinator of the Harlow Homework Club, Julie Allen, was at risk of redundancy despite having done a fantastic job for 13 years. This was because of cutbacks at Essex County Council.
I intervened and started a campaign to save the club. All options were looked at - including a possible social enterprise bid with Rainbow Services.In response to my appeal, there was a generous donation of £2,000 from Colin Hindmarch, Principal of Harlow College.
I was also able to persuade the council to continue part of its funding for at least one more year.
Today (Tuesday) I received a letter from County Councillor Jeremy Lucas.
He said: "I am very pleased to be able to confirm that we have now allocated money from within the Schools, Children and Families budget for the Harlow Homework Club.
“This money, which amounts to £4.5k, together with the £2k offered by Harlow College, will enable the Homework Club to remain open for the next year.
“This welcome news means that pupils from Harlow will be able to continue to make use of the facility and as you pointed out in your recent e-mail, will allow time to explore other sources of funding for the future."
I was delighted to be able to help. The Homework Club is a genuine community service and Julie Allen's work is invaluable
In the last year alone she has helped over 180 children to study and progress at school. This is essential for Harlow pupils. We just couldn't let it vanish without a fight.
I would like to thank Cllr Jeremy Lucas and Cllr Stephen Castle for helping us to raise the needed funds, and especially Colin Hindmarch from Harlow College - it was his crucial donation of£2,000 that made this rescue possible.
Are there any possiblities yet for ensuring its continued funding after one year, Robert?
ReplyDelete