In the last few days vandals have wrecked and burnt out the youth shelter at Berecroft, Harlow.
Broken glass and evidence of drugs is everywhere, as well as smashed floodlights, and dumped rubbish.
I am deeply shocked at what has happened on the estate. The scene is like a warzone. I have spoken several times in the last few days with Zulgar Cheema, the chairman of the residents’ association, and have also contacted Harlow Council and Nigel Day, the local PCSO, to see what action can be taken.
I will be visiting the estate again next week to meet with residents as I intend to raise this in Parliament.
Vandalism like this must not be swept under the carpet. The thugs behind it must be caught, and asked to pay for repairs. In the meantime, I would appeal to anyone who has any information that might help catch the criminals to discuss this immediately with Harlow Police.
Jointly with the Berecroft Residents Association, I am today launching an appeal, asking for donations to help them raise the £3,000 necessary to get the youth club back on its feet. Please click HERE to donate funds, through the Residents' website.I have pledged the first £100 to get this going, and will help them to raise more funds in the future.
Harlow Council candidate and local mother Stephanie Souter said: "I was extremely disappointed to hear the news of vandalism and will do everything that I can to give the youth club, the residents association, and Cheema my support.
“As soon as I heard the news, I telephoned the council and pressed them to get Keir Harlow on the case. They are now on-site, cleaning up the rubbish, and making the area safe for children again.
"These things must be dealt with immediately. We can't let a few bad people destroy the character of our estate.

No comments:
Post a Comment