Tickets for Clock Tower tours will NOT go on open sale in line with Saturday and Summer opening, but will be administered directly by the Visitor Services team upon receipt of applications via a Member’s office. Members of both Houses will still be required to sponsor those on a tour. Please note that the £15.00 admission charge will be administered directly between the Clock Tower Tours booking team and the visitor.
Please note that, in order that Members or their staff are able to accompany their visitors (as is sometimes requested), two spaces per tour will be reserved for Members/staff and will be allocated on a first come-first served basis. For further information on the procedure of how to book a Clock Tower Tour, please visit intranet page http://intranet.parliament.uk/ access-buildings/exhibitions- tours/big-ben/.
I responded to the email on Twitter:I find the idea of charging UK Citizens for visiting Parliament abhorrent. As I said on my tweet, taxpayers already pay for the upkeep. The public should have every right to visit Parliament - and that includes Big Ben - without being ripped off by charges.
I must admit, that, as a new MP, I have little idea what 'The House of Commons Commission' is - and how this decision was reached, but I will be finding out tomorrow. I plan to raise this issue as a Point of Order with the Speaker.
If the authorities want to save money there are better ways - such as publishing Hansard and other Parliamentary papers on-line only. This would save millions a year.
We are lucky to have one of the greatest Parliaments in the world. We shouldn't be charging for the right to see our democratic heritage.
You can read more HERE.
by Robert Halfon - Working Hard for Harlow.
You can read more HERE.
by Robert Halfon - Working Hard for Harlow.

Hear Hear!
ReplyDelete