Monday, January 9, 2012

Community newsletter - January 9, 2012

Last week I met with the new chairman of Princess Alexandra Hospital.There is some good news as our local NHS has benefited from an extra £24 million of funding since the 2010 General Election - but there are still genuine problems that need to be resolved. I hope to work more on these in the New Year.
---

This Friday, I held one of my regular MP's advice surgeries, helping Harlow residents with problems and worries that that they have.

This week the issues covered everything from housing, to a social entrepreneur who wants to start a new charity.

---

In the week ahead, Parliament will meet again for the first time in 2012.

When I am out and about in the town centre I often ask Harlow residents what they want me to champion in Parliament on their behalf.

The main answers that I get are jobs, petrol prices, immigration, apprenticeships,, and the rising cost of living.
---

What do you think?

Please email me your thoughts at halfon4harlow@roberthalfon.com

But whatever happens in the months and weeks ahead 2012 will have some fantastic highlights to look forward to - the Olympics, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. At the same time, there will also be genuine difficulties which we cannot sweep under the carpet.

The debt-crisis in Europe is still a real threat to Britain.

As Harlow's local MP, I will do everything in my power to help keep our economy moving.
--

Recent news

On Christmas Day I visited patients at Princess Alexandra Hospital, Harlow, with Harlow Hospital Radio DJ Ian Jackson on Christmas Day.




This was my second Christmas Day going around the wards wishing patients a Merry Christmas.

It was good to be able to give patients some cheer, especially since they had to spend Christmas in hospital.

Going round with Ian Jackson is always good fun, and we were able to take special song requests which Ian played on Harlow Hospital Radio.

I was pleased to also be able to say thank you to hard-working hospital staff - cleaners, porters, nurses and doctors - who had given up their Christmas to dedicate themselves to looking after the sick.

I also met some of the staff and pay tribute to many of the Princess Alexandra Hospital volunteers, including the League of Friends, all of whom helped spread the Christmas message in the hospital.

---
It was with great sadness that I heard about the death of Patrick McClarnon.

Patrick was one of the finest men one could ever meet. He was a huge influence on me. Many a weekend we canvassed together, or manned campaign stalls in Broadwalk.

He was one of those kind of individuals who would never say no - turning up to help whenever he was asked.


Patrick stood for something special. Deep Conservative values of aspiration, decency, hard-work, respect and a love for tradition. He didn't just stand for them, he embodied them in every being and fibre of his body.

Every word he spoke, every action, everything he did - reflected what he was about. He was an example to us all. He made our wrongs right again.

--

All Conservative MPs were sent a report card from Prime Minister David Cameron detailing Government policies during 2011. You can read the information here

No comments:

Post a Comment