My weekly newsletter: Plea for Big Society to help 'the little society'
Dear Resident,
In Harlow
It continues to be a busy time getting round to visit various organisations and key people in the consituency.
It was great to see everyone get into the festive spirit and helping to raise money for St Clare Hospice, when they took part in the fundraising Santa Fun Run in Harlow Town Park.
I was delighted to be invited to officially open the new cafe at the Latton Bush Centre, Harlow (Monday, December 5). This will be a valued facility for the many people who work and visit the centre.
I try and visit as many of our local schools are possible on a regular basis and so it was great to be able to meet with Jane Hadlow, from Mark Hall School (Tuesday, December 6). It was also a pleasure to welcome Joe Dawson who spent a day with me at Westminster on a work placement from school.
I also visited Harlow College for the presentation of Keeping Safe awards, and visited OI Manufacturing in Edinburgh Way - this is the largest glass recycler in the south east.
In Parliament
We have heard much about the Big Society. This matters for small charities in Harlow,who are trying to bid for funds but keep being elbowed aside by the 'Tesco' charities from London.
It is crucial that the smaller charities and organisations in Harlow and elsewhere receive support, and that includes funding, if they are to be able to do what the Government intends them to do under the Big Society umbrella.
I led the committee which this week published a report which concluded that more needs to be do if the Big Society is to work as the Government intended.
This week I was able to highlight the good work of the Catch22 charity which does so much good work locally helping to steer young people away from crime.
I mentioned the organisation when I spoke during a debate on crime and prisoners when I highlighted the fact that 40 per cent of prisoners had been excluded from school. I asked the Minister if he would work with the Department for Education and charities such as Catch22.
Last week I gave my backing to the Harlow-based national charity Grandparents Association’s campaign which is calling for the right for grandchilden to be allowed to have a minimum of ‘letter box’ contact with their grandparents - if it is safe to do so.
As part of the campaign I joined representatives from the association to present a petition to Number 10 Downing Street which has been signed by more than 7,200 people.
The Government decided to reverse a plan to take away from people with disabilities in residential care homes the 'mobility disability component' of their benefits. This is to be welcomed.
I was made aware of the situation by a number of residents andam glad the Government has listened. The ‘mobility disability component’ is important to people with disabilities if they are to retain a vital element of independence.
During a debate on decentralisation I asked if the Government would consider giving extra powers to up-and-coming new towns such as Harlow, especially now that our town is an enterprise zone. The Minister's reply was encouraging: watch this space.
Finally, the Apprentice Minister John Hayes gave his backing to the new apprentice school that I am setting up in Parliament, with charity New Deal of the Mind and Harlow College. I asked whether he would set up a Government apprentice school using public contracts, to tackle youth unemployment. Again, he agreed to look at the idea: something that is very promising for 2012, I hope.
Dear Resident,
In Harlow
It continues to be a busy time getting round to visit various organisations and key people in the consituency.
It was great to see everyone get into the festive spirit and helping to raise money for St Clare Hospice, when they took part in the fundraising Santa Fun Run in Harlow Town Park.
I was delighted to be invited to officially open the new cafe at the Latton Bush Centre, Harlow (Monday, December 5). This will be a valued facility for the many people who work and visit the centre.
I try and visit as many of our local schools are possible on a regular basis and so it was great to be able to meet with Jane Hadlow, from Mark Hall School (Tuesday, December 6). It was also a pleasure to welcome Joe Dawson who spent a day with me at Westminster on a work placement from school.
I also visited Harlow College for the presentation of Keeping Safe awards, and visited OI Manufacturing in Edinburgh Way - this is the largest glass recycler in the south east.
In Parliament
We have heard much about the Big Society. This matters for small charities in Harlow,who are trying to bid for funds but keep being elbowed aside by the 'Tesco' charities from London.
It is crucial that the smaller charities and organisations in Harlow and elsewhere receive support, and that includes funding, if they are to be able to do what the Government intends them to do under the Big Society umbrella.
I led the committee which this week published a report which concluded that more needs to be do if the Big Society is to work as the Government intended.
This week I was able to highlight the good work of the Catch22 charity which does so much good work locally helping to steer young people away from crime.
I mentioned the organisation when I spoke during a debate on crime and prisoners when I highlighted the fact that 40 per cent of prisoners had been excluded from school. I asked the Minister if he would work with the Department for Education and charities such as Catch22.
Last week I gave my backing to the Harlow-based national charity Grandparents Association’s campaign which is calling for the right for grandchilden to be allowed to have a minimum of ‘letter box’ contact with their grandparents - if it is safe to do so.
As part of the campaign I joined representatives from the association to present a petition to Number 10 Downing Street which has been signed by more than 7,200 people.
The Government decided to reverse a plan to take away from people with disabilities in residential care homes the 'mobility disability component' of their benefits. This is to be welcomed.
I was made aware of the situation by a number of residents andam glad the Government has listened. The ‘mobility disability component’ is important to people with disabilities if they are to retain a vital element of independence.
During a debate on decentralisation I asked if the Government would consider giving extra powers to up-and-coming new towns such as Harlow, especially now that our town is an enterprise zone. The Minister's reply was encouraging: watch this space.
Finally, the Apprentice Minister John Hayes gave his backing to the new apprentice school that I am setting up in Parliament, with charity New Deal of the Mind and Harlow College. I asked whether he would set up a Government apprentice school using public contracts, to tackle youth unemployment. Again, he agreed to look at the idea: something that is very promising for 2012, I hope.
No comments:
Post a Comment