A happy Christmas and a happy and healthy New Year
One of the special things about Christmas is not just the warmth of the fellowship of families and friends spending time together but also the dedication of so many people who work throughout the day. Carers, nurses, doctors, police, petrol station staff, fire officers and many more besides, carry on working to keep Harlow running.
I saw this first hand on Christmas Day last year when I visited some wards in Princess Alexandra Hospital with Ian Jackson, from Harlow Hospital Radio, in order to wish patients and nurses a happy Christmas.
I look forward to going again on Sunday.
As your new MP I have tried hard to support our community.
As well as visiting four or five Harlow organisations almost every week, I've also volunteered to pack boxes at Harlow Food Bank, read the Harlow Star for Talking Newspapers, been a receptionist at St Clare
Hospice, and taken on the role of milk monitor in Sheering Primary School - to name but a few.
In Parliament, as many of you will know, I am doing everything possible to support apprenticeships, because I believe they give our youngsters the best possible chance in life.
That is why I now employ my second Harlow apprentice, who will get a Level 3 in August 2012, and was really proud to launch and support an incredible apprentice fair at Harlow College - which helped 30 young people to get jobs.
Despite the difficult economy, the number of apprenticeships in Harlow has increased by a massive 73 per cent this year, which is good news.
I am also working hard with Harlow College, Anglia Ruskin University, and local firms (including the hospital), to bring a proper apprentice school to Harlow for ages 14 - 19.
My other major Parliamentary battle recently has been for cheaper petrol and diesel. I did everything I could to raise the issue: e-petitions, debates in Parliament, and even pushing a taxi to Number 10 Downing Street, in protest at rip-off fuel prices. The Government listened. Not only did they cut petrol tax at the last Budget, but they have now cancelled the January rise, too - saving the average Harlow family £144 next year.
When he made the announcement, the Chancellor said:
"I pay particular tribute to Robert Halfon. He has led a dogged campaign on behalf of the people of Harlow - and the whole country - to try and get people some relief from the increases in petrol taxes that were planned by the last Labour Government. I'm delighted we've been able to help."
This year I held 24 surgeries, in schools, churches and community buildings, as well as local shopping hatches. I have also met with at least 160 Harlow residents in Westminster, and taken 75+ school or community groups for a tour around Parliament.
If you would like to come on a tour please email me at halfon4harlow@roberthalfon.com or call 0207 219 3000 in January.
Finally, can I take the opportunity to wish you all a very special Christmas and a peaceful New Year.

Merry Christmas, Rob.
ReplyDelete- Aangirfan