Thursday, December 8, 2011

Apprentice Minister praises the Parliamentary Academy




Earlier today, I asked the Apprentice Minister John Hayes if he would back the Parliamentary Academy - a new apprentice school in Parliament that I have set up with charity New Deal of the Mind.

I also asked him if he would use Government contracts to boost the number of apprentices, and to cut youth unemployment.

His reply was encouraging, as the Minister urged every MP to lead by example, and hire an apprentice themselves - as I have done since 2010.

The full exchange was:

Robert Halfon (Harlow): "Will the Minister support the Parliamentary apprentice school that I have founded with charity New Deal of the Mind? And will he look at a similar idea of establishing a Government apprentice school, using public contracts? Figures from the House of Commons Library show that if just one apprentice were hired for every £1 million pounds of public procurement, it would instantly create 280,000 apprentices and cut youth unemployment by a quarter."

John Hayes (Apprentice Minister): "I do take the view that Government has a role, and that procurement has a role too, Mr Speaker. That's why I have established a Ministerial champions group for apprenticeships. 14 Departments are part of that. It's why we have explored the idea of Kitemarking, for good employers that use apprenticeships and supply the public sector, and put in place streamlined informational skills, for companies that want to supply Government. Can I finally say Mr Speaker, that Robert Halfon has been a great champion, by taking on an apprentice himself? And I once again urge every Member of this House to take their own apprentice."



by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment