Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Why I believe in an EU Referendum



On Monday, there was a backbench motion in Parliament, expressing an opinion about a possible three-way referendum on the European Union.

It was a very very tough decision, but I voted against it.

First: it would be better a referendum were held when the UK's economic crises has been sorted.

In the current economic climate, when people are fearful for their jobs and are struggling to keep their head above water, now would not be the best time to win a referendum on getting our powers back from the EU - or even push through the necessary legislation in the House of Commons. There would be a strong liklihood that we would lose such a referendum now, because people are understandably preoccupied with our economic difficulties.

Many people are worried that at a time when we are having to freeze pay for nurses and Police officers, how can it be right to spend £80 million pounds on a referendum?

Second: there was a guarantee from the Prime Minister that we will have a Referendum if there were any serious future changes to the European Union. Unlike the Motion on the Referendum, this commitment has already been enshrined in legislation by the Government through the 2011 EU Sovereignty Act - which I strongly supported.

This is more than likely given the current problems in the Eurozone.

David Cameron confirmed in Parliament this week, that there will be a referendum if there was any fundamental changes to the EU.

He said:

"The key point about the European Union Act 2011 and the referendum lock that we put in place is that any passage of powers from Britain to Brussels results in a referendum. That is the key thing that we have delivered, which means that never again can we have a situation where, as with Maastricht or Lisbon, a treaty is passed that transfers powers from this House to somewhere else without the British people being asked first. I sometimes think that we have lost the ability to make clear what a significant change that is. That is the key thing that the referendum lock delivers, and I think everyone on this side of the House can be very proud of it"

Third: During the debate both David Cameron and William Hague pledged to repatriate powers from Europe.

William Hague said:

"It is my view and the Prime Minister’s view, and the position of the Conservative Party, that we will use future opportunities to bring further powers back to the United Kingdom—to repatriate powers to the United Kingdom in those areas where we believe European integration has gone too far... The only treaty change agreed so far—I am coming to this point—is the one that puts the European stability mechanism on a legal basis, and for that we secured in return, as the Prime Minister explained, that this country will no longer be forced to be part of eurozone bail-outs. We will respond to every proposal by putting forward what we need in return. Any treaty that transfers power to the European Union, and that is interpreted not just by Ministers but by the courts of this country as doing so, will result in a referendum for the people of the United Kingdom."

Further to this I should like to make some concluding points.

I was not forced to vote for the Government because of the Whips or anyone else. On other occasions I have voted against the Government and voted against the EU Budget increase last year, despite a three line whip. After listening to the debate, I decided late into the evening to back the Government - for the reasons given above.

It is also worth noting that the Backbench Motion was non-binding - purely because it was a Backbench Motion.

This meant that it amounted to an expression of opinion rather than 'forcing' the Government to do anything. In other words, even if it had passed there would have been no Referendum.

I do support a general referendum on our relations with the EU, but believe this should be a commitment in the next Tory Manifesto. I would be happy either for a referendum on substantial renegotiation and repatriation of our powers, either before the Government went to the EU to begin negotiations, or, after renegotiation of our membership had been completed - in order to gain a mandate from the British people.

As I have said however, given that there is likely to be a new EU Treaty in the near future, it is likely that referendum will come sooner rather than later.



by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment