Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Visiting ATOS




You may remember this Blogpost, I wrote about Atos, the medical company that tests individuals, medically in terms of work capability benefits/incapacity benefit.  I also tabled a Commons Motion, following a number of complaints, I had about Atos from local residents.

Well, yesterday, I went to an Atos testing centre with two other MPs, to look at the company's testing system.  I was able to raise a number of issues regarding the testing procedure, raised by local residents in  Harlow  Whilst, what I saw was impressive, I am not convinced that this is being done across the board.  Moreover, it is clear that some Atos centres are inaccessible for disabled people, either because of a lack of parking, or because of distance.  The Atos staff assured me that since the Harrington Review, Doctors are now being trained properly, and all have to have a good standard of English.  I also raised the idea of mini 'satellite' testing centres in some areas, so that claimants don't have to travel so far to the testing centre - the Government has said that they will look at this idea, although there are no current plans to change the testing centres.

There is a good article about the Harrington Review HERE.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment