Thursday, September 8, 2011

Harlow Council stand against Waste Transfer Station

 
I was delighted to hear of the sensible decision by Harlow Council, as Councillors agreed unanimously last night to oppose plans for a Waste Transfer Station in north Harlow. 
The Conservative-led Planning Committee said formally that the North Weald site in rural Epping Forest was their preferred option, rather than the West Road site in Harlow.
However, the final decision still rests with Essex County Council, in Chelmsford, as the matter is deemed to be a "strategic" planning decision for the county.

As regular readers will know, I have huge reservations about the proposed location of this scheme. That is why - like many local residents - I have written formally to Essex Council objecting to the plans. As soon as I heard the news, I took Tany's Dell primary school, local businesses and residents to meet with Essex Council to find out the facts. We have been working together on the campaign ever since.

In recent weeks, it has become increasingly clear that West Road is the wrong location. The extra traffic will overload Edinburgh Way, and the site is the wrong end of Harlow. It is literally miles from our single M11 junction. This means that big waste trucks from Epping Forest will have to drive across our town on a daily basis.

On top of that, many parents are worried, as Tany's Dell primary school is very close to the planned site. There is likely to be a damaging impact on local residents and small businesses.

As I have said for many months, I am in favour of recycling and the overall idea, but this is simply the wrong location. Essex Council need to think again.
You can write to Essex Council, and tell them your feelings about the plans at mineralsandwasteDM@essex.gov.uk
by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment