David Blunkett, former Labour Home Secretary, has a really interesting proposal in today's Daily Mail. In a variant of David Cameron's idea for National Citizens Service, he proposes National Community Service, in which young people would do up to nine months a year working in local or overseas community based projects.
Blunkett says the scheme would cost around £7,000 and youngsters would be incentivised to take part through future tax-breaks or skills credits.
I think this is a great idea - albeit with the funding issues resolved properly (Blunkett skates over this). I have always believed that the school curriculum should include compulsory community action - in which pupils would partake in regular social action activities. National Community Service would do much to build the character of young people, act as a source of unity and strengthen our communities - replenishing much depleted sources of social capital.
I hope that this doesn't become a party-political issue and that Mr Blunkett, the PM and like-minded souls, work together to make National Community Service a reality.
P.S. You can read more here and here.
David Cameron's plans are here:
My article on Schools and Community here.
Rob Halfon
halfon4harlow@roberthalfon.com
Blunkett says the scheme would cost around £7,000 and youngsters would be incentivised to take part through future tax-breaks or skills credits.
I think this is a great idea - albeit with the funding issues resolved properly (Blunkett skates over this). I have always believed that the school curriculum should include compulsory community action - in which pupils would partake in regular social action activities. National Community Service would do much to build the character of young people, act as a source of unity and strengthen our communities - replenishing much depleted sources of social capital.
I hope that this doesn't become a party-political issue and that Mr Blunkett, the PM and like-minded souls, work together to make National Community Service a reality.
P.S. You can read more here and here.
David Cameron's plans are here:
My article on Schools and Community here.
Rob Halfon
halfon4harlow@roberthalfon.com
No comments:
Post a Comment