Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shaving Foam Pies must not restrict the public's right to Parliament



On Tuesday afternoon, a self-publicist threw a plate of shaving foam at Rupert Murdoch, who was giving evidence to the Commons Culture Select Committee about the phone hacking scandal.

My big worry is that whenever there have been these kinds of incidences in the past, the screw tightens slowly on the public's right to Parliament.  In the Public Gallery, there is now a thick glass sheet separating people from MPs - in reaction to the time when purple powder was thrown from the Gallery.  This in my view was a big mistake.  Our Parliament remains great because it is one of the most accessible Legislatures in the world.  Any constituent can come and lobby their MP. For the sake of our democracy.  The Public must continue to have the right to watch proceedings in Parliament - both in the main Chamber and in Committee.

There will always be idiots who work the system - and bring freedom into disrepute - whatever the security restrictions.  But the actions of a few must not be used as an excuse to cut Parliament from the people.

Yesterday I asked the Speaker the following (note that Mr Speaker is saying that he hopes it is the last point of order from Parliamentarians - not from me!):


Robert Halfon (Harlow) (Con): On a point of order, Mr Speaker.
Mr Speaker: Point of order, Mr Robert Halfon. I hope it is the last.
Robert Halfon: Following your earlier remarks about reviewing security given the incident yesterday, Mr Speaker, will you ensure that the public continue to have the right to go to Select Committees, and that their right is not restricted?
Mr Speaker: I am grateful to the hon. Gentleman for his point of order. The right to attend meetings in the way that he describes is a very long-established and precious freedom. I think it would be quite wrong for me to seek to constrain or circumscribe what an independent investigation can cover and recommend, but the point he makes is an important one. I have underlined its importance, and I think many people will share his point of view.

I was heartened with Mr Speaker's response, as he showed considerable sympathy for my argument.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Rob, you are so right about keeping access to our MPs and parliament open. I deplore the glass screening of the public areas above the chamber as much as you do.

    Politics has never been a safe occupation, if MPs want coddling where ever they go and whatever they do, they should be in another job.

    I'm glad to see too that you practice what you preach. You personal record of getting out on the streets of Harlow to meet as many people as possible is exemplary. I don't believe any former Harlow MP can match you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only wish that the coalition government was as committed to freedom, civil liberties and accessibility as you are.

    They began well, introducing a website, "Your Freedom", a hugely popular site which allowed us great unwashed to email suggestions for changes to legislation which would restore our civil liberties and freedom.

    When this site was taken down after a few months we were promised that there would a stage two replacement which would include posts from Your Freedom and analysis of these.

    So where is Your Freedom stage two? Almost year later the government has still not kept its promise on this. Please take this issue up on behalf of the people, Rob!

    ReplyDelete