Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Campaign for Cheaper Petrol Continues...


With economic growth running at a sluggish 0.2%, we urgently need a cut in fuel taxes. As I told The Sun this morning, petrol and diesel are just too expensive. This is especially true at a time when oil companies like BP are raking in massive profits.

The astronomical cost is hurting families and businesses all across the UK. This is depressing the economy, and with difficult growth figures and the Eurozone crisis, we need all the help we can get.

George Osborne took a bold and decisive step earlier this year, to abandon Labour's rip-off fuel escalator and to cut petrol duty by 1p. The Chancellor has now even hinted that he may look at tax cuts in the autumn. I am strongly urging him to cut fuel duty.

As I set out recently on this blog, the high petrol taxes aren't just bad for motorists. They're bad for the Treasury too. That's why I have written to the Prime Minister, pushed a car up Whitehall in protest, and raised this numerous times in Parliament.

My letter to David Cameron asked him to delay or abolish completely the planned 4p petrol tax hike, which will hit motorists on New Year's Day, January 1st 2012.

We urgently need lower petrol taxes, to bring jobs back to Harlow, and to get our economy moving again.

p.s. sign our petition against high petrol taxes at www.fairfueluk.com by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment