Thursday, May 12, 2011

We need more local-decision making when it come to planning decisions

 

Many Harlow residents have written to me in recent weeks, with concerns about a planned housing development in Gilden Way.

We do urgently need more affordable homes, and regeneration of our town centre. But we must also preserve the original design principles of Harlow - like the green wedges that make our town unique.

A few days ago, I joined in a spirited demonstration by local residents against the Gilden Way plans, and have urged the Council and relevant committees to take their concerns into account - and those of many other residents - about over-development and lack of support for infrastructure.

I have been very active on this, meeting with numerous residents, and also taking some to meet with the developers just before Christmas last year.

As Harlow MP, I have no powers over planning applications. However, I have put out a statement on my views to the authorities, and I will always represent the views of local people. That is why I have made my feelings clear to the Council and also to the developers.

Another case recently was the Gowers. It is a beautiful Harlow conservation area, and many of its trees are hundreds of years old. Yet this peaceful community is also facing a serious threat from over-development, which in the view of many, is in no way sympathetic with the surrounding houses.

The community's case is simple: housing must be in keeping with the environment.

Everyone feels strongly about housing development, especially if it affects their street. That is why I will be voting for the Localism Bill in Parliament in a few weeks time. The new laws will give people a genuine say in decision-making, and help people to stop problems like garden-grabbing, or building on green belt.

I believe the case for the Localism Bill has never been stronger. After years of top-down targets and bureaucracy, we need a planning system that puts Harlow people in charge.



No comments:

Post a Comment