Friday, April 29, 2011

Three thoughts from the Royal Wedding


An amazing day for our country. Three simple thoughts come to mind:

1. It was a special feeling being British. Our Monarchy, our ceremony and pageantry give us a tremendous sense of pride and unity. The monarchy is here to stay. A defeat for those who thrive on the politics of envy or want to wallow in the equality of mediocrity.

2. The BBC is not all bad. We often have gripes with the organisation, but it is a national institution that knows how to brilliantly broadcast the affairs of another national institution.

3. The Duke of Cambridge has all the qualities needed to become an excellent King: charisma, courage, compassion, decency, modesty, a sense of history and tradition. His new wife will lay to rest the ghosts of Princess Diana and help cement the ties and affections of the British people, closer to the Royal Family.


Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

5 comments:

  1. It was a wonderful, glorious wedding. I loved every minute of it! I have union flag bunting outside my cottage and this is the first time I've been able to bring myself to fly that flag for around 12 years. The discriminatory treatment of England in comparison to other parts of the union made me - and still makes me - believe that England should leave the Union, so the union flag I once loved has lost much of its meaning for me.

    However my flags are union flags with a difference, they have Kate and William's picture in the middle of them, and that makes them acceptable. The reason is quite simple: William is Princess Diana's boy and as I watched his marriage to Kate I felt as I suspect millions of women across the world felt, so sad that Diana was not there to bask in pride at her two lovely boys and that I and millions of other women are his substitute mothers, basking in pride for dear Princess Di.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What made this wedding so very special were the numerous moments of intimacy that humanised the stunning historic pageantry.

    William and Kate celebrated our stunning heritage and the historic continuity of their roles, yet refused to be bound by the dead hand of stuffy royal protocol. In the midst of all of that splendour, they made this wedding their own.

    And that was pure Diana. Her influence was so in evidence and so very positive. When William married for love and chose a commoner for his wife he made a huge break with royal protocol. It was an announcement that he is much his own man - and Diana's son.

    When William went out on the night before his wedding day to speak to the crowds of ordinary people camping out around the palace and Westminster, to thank them for their support and when he openly expressed his love for Kate at the alter, he was breaking with a thousand years of stuffy, elitist protocol which has so damaged the royal family because the royals failed to move with the times. I say that with no disrespect, I'm a royalist.

    I believe William, supported by Kate, will make a wonderful king: a modern king and reformer, like his dear mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just one blight on the day: Camilla signing the marriage register as substitute mother.I stongly object to this, just as I object to Camilla ever becoming our queen. The woman wrecked Charles' and Diana's marriage and almost wrecked our monarchy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can we not bypass miserable and unpopular Charles and Camilla, who cost us a fortune and give almost nothing in return? They'll be in their 80s before Charles becomes king - and how can that be good for our country?

    Our present queen is lovely - but she is the exception - this perpetual stuffy transition from one aging monarch to another is way out of date. The monarch should retire at, say, 65 to 75 as most other people do.

    William and Kate would do so much more for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Imagine the pair of them hobbling up the steps to Westminster Abbey when they're in their 80s or 90s... no, no, no, please let's have William and Kate to rejuvenate our monarchy.

    ReplyDelete