Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Libya: an outcast at the UN


What a turnaround. It was not so long ago that Libya chaired the UN Human Rights Commission. Tonight however, after Gadaffi begins an attempted genocide of his own people, the UN have voted unanimously to expel Libya from the Human Rights Council.

This is a good move and signals to Gadaffi that the world community will not tolerate his remaining in power. If only this had been done years ago - rather than treat the Dictator as an Elder Statesman, perhaps we would have been rid of the Gadaffi Regime a long time ago.

P.S. I appeared on BBC News 24 tonight arguing that the LSE Blood money from Libya, should be given back to the victims of the Regime. It looks like that the LSE scandal could be the tip of the iceberg: There is evidence that other UK Universities have taken money from Libya or other Middle Eastern Despots. I will write more on this in future blogs.

3 comments:

  1. How right you are that this money belongs to the people of Libya. My heart goes out to them, for so long they have been in chains & now it is time for them to be released. The West must offer them support but NEVER force it on them. I cannot comprehend their situation all I know is that Gadaffi cannot commit murder of his own people with the rest of the world just looking on. We did that in the 1940's let us not be guilty of such a crime again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As many as a quarter of Libya's people died, many of disease and starvation in concentration camps, during three decades of Italian ... colonial rule."
    (The Arab uprisings: Endgame in Tripoli The Economist)

    ReplyDelete
  3. News 24 gave you an easy ride. You were lucky, you had a very poor interviewer. So how many deals /export licences granted have the government santioned with Libya since they came to power? I assumethat no British oil companies are actively doing business there either and involved in "blood money" to use your phrase. Put on your blog details of your governments dealings, export licences etc. I look forward to full details.

    ReplyDelete