Monday, March 14, 2011

In the Hotseat


I thought you might like to see my response to a question from a local resident:

QUESTION
As a supporter of the National Autistic Society living in the area, I am extremely concerned about the Government's Disability Living Allowance (DLA) reforms. The reform means people with autism will have to undergone a stringent face-to-face assessment in order to claim this vital benefit. Autism is a 'hidden' disability and unless assessors have specific training in the condition, it is very likely the needs of people with autism will be misunderstood or overlooked. I would like to appeal to our local MP to bring this issue to parliament in line with the National Autistic Society's Who Benefits? campaign, which puts forward the following four points aimed at protecting society's most vulnerable:

1. People shouldn't have to go through a face-to-face assessment if they already have sufficient evidence about their autism from previous assessments

2. People with autism experience a variety of difficulties with daily life. The Government must make sure that these are reflected in the new assessment.

3. Assessors must be trained so that they understand autism and how to talk to someone with autism, and can make a fair assessment of that person's needs.

4. The Government must not abolish mobility component of DLA for people living in residential care.

From Ms Michelle Martin
Harlow

ANSWER

Dear Michelle,
Thank you for this question. We're lucky in Harlow to have PACT (Parents of Autistic Children Together), which does so much to work with parents who have autistic children. The parents I have met through PACT in Harlow have made me aware of issues that I might not have otherwise understood as well.

I would urge every parent who has an autistic child - if they don't do so already - to support PACT at http://www.pactharlow.org.uk because of the vital work that they do.
Through PACT, I have also met with the National Autistic Society a number of times. The National Autistic Society asked me to table a Parliamentary Motion to support adults with autism, which I was pleased to do. This is because 63 per cent of adults who suffer from autism do not feel that they get the help they need.

To specifically answer your points, I am very concerned about how people with disabilities are tested for the DLA. As someone who has a walking disability myself, I know that dignity and support must go hand-in-hand. For months now I have been pressing the Government about ATOS, a company that assesses disability payments. I have fought for people who are assessed to be treated more humanely, as many Harlow people in my surgeries have complained about poor treatment.

For these reasons I met with the Welfare Minister Chris Grayling before Christmas, and he has assured me that there will be reforms to the ways that welfare is assessed for the disabled.

In terms of your first three points, I agree that the testing must be simple and fair. I will make these points to the Government, and will let you have a response as soon as I hear back.

On the mobility component of DLA, I accept that this is a serious problem, and recently made a speech about this in Parliament (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/whall/?id=2010-11-30a.197.0#g203.0), where I said:
"A number of constituents have contacted me, deeply worried about the Government's plans for reform of the mobility allowance - especially for those recipients in Care Homes. Only a small number of people are affected but they are deeply anxious, and they do not have a political axe to grind. I believe that disabled people must never become prisoners in their own homes, but must retain access to the outside world."
The Minister for the Disabiled, Maria Miller MP, responded by saying (http://www.theyworkforyou.com/whall/?gid=2010-11-30a.220.1):
"My friend the Member for Harlow (Robert Halfon) made an important contribution to the debate. The measure is not intended to lead to a loss of independence and we remain committed to promoting greater personalisation for disabled people. I reiterate that milestones have been agreed with the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services, including the growth in personal budgets, and that we are absolutely committed to the implementation of personalisation across the board."

Initially the Government planned to end the mobility component of DLA from 2012-13 to claimants who "have been in a residential care home for more than 28 days". This would have affected about 58,000 people. However, people affected would have retained an underlying entitlement to the benefit, and payments would have started again if they left the care home.

However, as I understand it, the Minister for the Disabled has now said that the measures will now be delayed by at least a year (i.e. not now coming into force until 2013), and that a review will also narrow the number of claimants affected. On top of this, they will roll the payment into a new "Personal Independence" grant, which will replace the Disability Living Allowance. This will be money given directly to people with disabilities, to spend as they see fit.

I think it is important that there is no loss of income for those people affected. Local Councils will also have a legal obligation to provide mobility for residents, from social care funding.

I would welcome any further thoughts that you have on this, so that I can discuss them with the Minister for the Disabled.

No comments:

Post a Comment