There are reports this evening that Colonel Gadaffi may be on the verge of taking back Libya. I have no way of verifying if this is true. But, one thing is for sure: If the Dictator does succeed, the sebacks to democratic development will be enormous.
Not only will all the opposition be vanquished - and then massacred - citizens across the Middle East will be wary of overthrowing their repressive regimes. The light of democracy - and the chances of freedom - will be put out, possibly for a generation.
The West have only themselves to blame. Instead of confronting Gadaffi, for the past few years he was appeased and even feted by far too many countries, including the UK,Now, there is hand-wringing about whether or not to implement a no-fly zone. By the time a decision is made, Gadaffi could have retaken control. The free world should be doing all it can to facilitate Gadaffi's removal.
How sickened I feel to see this photo of The ex Prime Minister of the United Kingdom embracing someone so abhorant as Gadaffi. I hope he now feels the shame that I feel as a citizen of the UK, although I very much doubt it. My feelings are with the people of Libya & I implore the government to do what it can although sadly it may be to late.
ReplyDeleteGadaffi is a murderous dictator no doubt about it, but this is an internal Libyan affair and let them fight it out.
ReplyDeleteThe West should stay out and mind their own business. The problem with the West, ok i will be blunt "White People" they think they are Gods and are here to rescue to world from all these dictators and are blessed to spread democracy. Keep your military out of the middle east, asia, africa and latin america, let the people from these nations determine their own destiny. But if the West does come and intervene it benefits the sleeping powers from the east, China and India. Brazil and Russia of course, who do you think will supply the people fighting the western armies with weapons, just more money for these guys.