Today I attended a presentation on knife crime organised by local PCSOs and Harlow College.
Led by PCSOs Phyllis Chipchase and Karen Rogers, students and myself were shown some harrowing pictures of knife crime. Harlow had 97 incidents last year - bad but smaller in comparison to last year. In London there is one knife crime for every 1,100 people per year. In Harlow, it is more like one knife crime per 800 people per year.
But, I learnt something this morning that particularly shocked me. There are numerous Internet sites that sell dangerous knives, in the same way Amazon sells books or Tescos sells food. These weapons can be ordered with ease and sent to any address.
Next week, I will be raising this in Parliament. My aim is to urge the Government to pass legislation to close down any UK Internet sites that sell dangerous knives and work with Internet Providers to shut sites from overseas.
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
No comments:
Post a Comment