Monday, November 15, 2010

Welfare Reform in Harlow



Whilst I welcome the plans to reform the benefits system, I want to ensure that Harlow people don't lose out, and get to keep some of their benefits once they get back into work.

We also need to make sure that the 8,000 Harlow people on out-of-work benefits, and the most vulnerable, are protected.

That's why last week I asked Iain Duncan-Smith the following question:

Robert Halfon (Harlow, Conservative): I congratulate my right hon. Friend on his statement, particularly as the previous Government's approach to welfare reform was more Ethelred the Unready than Nixon in China. Is he aware that more than 8,000 people in my constituency are on out-of-work benefits? That is one in 10 people. Will the Minister assure them that the universal credit will protect the most vulnerable and give others a real incentive-more money, not less-as they find jobs?

Iain Duncan Smith (Secretary of State, Work and Pensions): The universal credit is about what happens to people as they seek and go back to work. Benefit levels for disabled people-whatever their condition-will continue and be maintained. Those who need support will receive it, but the most beneficial thing for people in my hon. Friend's constituency is simply this: we are at last going to try to get to that group who have been left behind. More than 5 million people were left behind without jobs in workless households during the high years, with children in poverty. That is what we hope to break. I hope that that is seen as a positive message.



by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. I would like to congratulate IDS for all his hard work & determenation on the Welfare Benefit Reform. I have such respect for him. Many of us know that this reform has to be put in place. It is such a waste that many in society do not work & rely completely on benefits to the extent that they feel it is their right. This means that they never socialise thereby expecting nothing more in life - let us all back IDS especially his own party this man should go down in history as a great man. I wish him every success.

    ReplyDelete