Sunday, November 21, 2010

Harlow Community Update

Here is what I have been up to in recent times, during my community visits in and around Harlow:



Harlow Hospital Radio.   They have been celebrating their fortieth birthday this year and had a celebration meal in the Fox Pub in  Matching.  It was good to be there, and to meet the national President of Hospital Broadcasting as well.  I was really pleased earlier in the year to have a slot on HHR and give my favourite  my Desert Island Discs.  The presenter for that programme was Ian Jackson who I sat next to at the dinner.



Victoria Hall:  This superb theatre has a much more certain future, now that they have received a grant from Essex Council and are able to buy the premises.   I wanted Cllr. Jeremy Lucas (Cabinet Member for the Arts), to visit the theatre and see what further support the theatre can access for future development.




Marefield Centre:  I went visit by kind invitation as the Centre was having a special opening ceremony.  Marefield, is a brand new Day-Care venue (just off Partridge Road), supported by Essex Council, designed to provide pensioners with a place to visit during the week.  It was good to meet many of the pensioners present and enjoy a most delicious tea afterwards.



Integration Support Service This excellent organisation does so much to help vulnerable communities in and around Harlow, and I was very pleased to speak at the ISS AGM last week, to talk about their work - and explain the Big Society.  I also gave out award certificates to those volunteers who do so much to support the ISS.  My previous visit to the ISS was in March and I met a remarkable man called Nelson.  I blogged about it HERE.

Essex Council Highways:  One of the biggest casework loads I have are issues affecting speeding and roads.  I had a long two hour meeting with Highways officers and some progress has been made.   I will update you on a future blog for what has been agreed.


Harlow Salvation Army:  (HSA). To the HSA for a special ceremony to open their brand new refurbished building.  It was a lovely occasion and the new HSA looks just great - especially with an original wooden cladding.  The HSA is so essential for so many people in Harlow - and especially for the community in and around Toddbrook.  I was reminded of this when a pensioner told me how her husband had died just eighteen months ago.  It was only thanks to HSA that she had kept her wits about her.  They had given this lady love and comfort.

St Mary's at Latton Church.  Back for another event, this time the Christmas Bazaar.   I arrived empty-handed and left laden with spicy jams, pickled onions and a bottle of wine won in the raffle!

Remembrance Service:  You can see my previous blog posting HERE to find more.  A very special day of dignity for Harlow.

Harlow Enterprise Advice Centre:  Great news for the Harvey Centre, as a new Advice centre for enterprise and apprentices has opened as one-stop shop.  You can read more HERE.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment