A very long and impassioned debate in the Commons this evening about the referendum on the Alternative Vote (AV) and equalising the number of voters in each constituency.
I made two points: first that there will be significant ramifications if Scotland votes for AV, and England against.
I also thought it important to note that whilst First Past the Post is the least worst voting system, it does have one flaw: that is in a number of constituencies, an MP can win the vote with less than 50% or even 40% of support.
The answer to this is I believe to introduce the French system, (which is also used in the Czech Republic and Hungary), whereby there is a second run off (also under First Past the Post) for the top two candidates, in constituencies in which a 50% majority was not achieved first time around. This has the benefits of keeping our current voting mechanism, whilst ensuring that in every constituency, the MP elected has an overall majority.
Most people have little knowledge of the French system, Rob: it would be good if you could tell us a little more of this.
ReplyDeleteRobert Halfon: "I thank my right hon. Friend for her reply. Does she agree that, as devolution develops, we will need a fair constitutional
settlement across the United Kingdom, and is it not the Government's intention, therefore, to address English votes for English laws, and
indeed English and Welsh votes for English and Welsh laws?"
Yes! I totally agree with you. Thank you very much for this.