Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Battle of Britain

Today was the seventieth anniversary of the Battle of Britain. All over the country there were special commemoration services, to remember the heroism of so many.

I was privileged to be invited to a special service at Chelmsford Cathedral with a number of Essex MPs. It was a rather humbling experience. To see so many RAF veterans there, and knowing that without their bravery, not only would Britain have been a different place, but I - almost certainly - would not have been around today.

The Chelmsford Commemoration showed our country at its very best: brave, decent, good and proud. I was pleased to meet some Harlow veterans there, and Standard Bearers too. One veteran told me that he was glad I had made the effort to come - I was astonished that he said this - given that all he and his colleagues had done to keep Britain free. I felt like a minnow in comparison.

We are so lucky that Britain had such guardians.

P.S. I hope you like the watch. I wore it specially for the occasion.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment