There has been some fascinating discussion about the role of the Internet on our brains, in a new book by Nicholas Carr. In essence, the main theme of the book is that because we now read the internet in short, sharp, segments, our brain is being retrained. It is now more difficult for us to read books for example, with long chapters. Whilst the Internet, helps to increase multi-tasking skills, it hinders lateral and abstract thinking, long-term reflectivity and concentration.
I think there may be something in this. In recent years my own reading habits have changed in that I read more and more on the Internet and less and less books. I used to read a book at least every two to three weeks. Now I look more at the Internet, although I still read books, albeit not as frequent. Most people I know, now read more on the Internet than books as well. Whether all this does have the effect of 'rewiring our brains' is yet to be seen. But Mr Carr has certainly started off an important debate.
You can read more HERE.
I think there may be something in this. In recent years my own reading habits have changed in that I read more and more on the Internet and less and less books. I used to read a book at least every two to three weeks. Now I look more at the Internet, although I still read books, albeit not as frequent. Most people I know, now read more on the Internet than books as well. Whether all this does have the effect of 'rewiring our brains' is yet to be seen. But Mr Carr has certainly started off an important debate.
You can read more HERE.
No comments:
Post a Comment