Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Taking the Oath and learning about Apprentices



Slowly slowly one becomes a fully fledged MP. First is being selected as a Candidate. Second is being elected by constituents.
Third is swearing an oath to the Queen. Fourth is the Maiden Speech. Only after all four stages, are you allowed to speak in the Commons Chamber and ask Parliamentary Questions. Today I completed the third stage. At around 1850 this evening I swore my oath of allegiance to Her Majesty. In order to do this, you queue at the entrance of the Chamber, one by one. When your turn comes, you go to the Dispatch Box, and are given a Bible and Oath to read by a senior Commons Clerk. I gave my name and said Harlow. With my hand on a Hebrew Bible, I then said the Oath. After, I walked towards Mr Speaker and I was touched by his kind words of advice that he gave me. It was a truly reverential occasion and one which is another reminder of the dignity of the office which I am privileged to hold.

* * * * * * * * *

Earlier in the day, I met with an organisation called
EDGE, a Foundation which works hard to improve vocational education and apprenticeships for young people. As you know from previous blog postings, this is a subject I care about deeply. I hope very much to work with EDGE to push forward ideas as to how to improve apprenticeships across the board. One change they propose - which I strongly agree with - is to ensure that teachers in schools encourage students to apply for apprenticeships, in the same way they urge them to go to University. In other words, bring about a cultural change in support of apprenticeships. This is something I will be pleased to give my backing.

P.S. The Oath I said, went as follows:

"I Robert Halfon of Harlow, swear by Almighty God that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, her heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God".

P.P.S. You can read more about the Oath
here.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. What a proud day for Harlow. We all look forward to Robert representing the town with pride

    ReplyDelete