Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Meeting Apprentices at Harlow Library




I was given permission this morning by my party managers (known as Whips), to miss being in the House of Commons this morning, as I wanted to attend Harlow Library's Career day. It was well worth it. I met two excellent Library Apprentices, and spoke to range of organisations offering jobs and training to those looking for work.

It was greatly encouraging to see that Harlow Library was working closely with the Essex Apprenticeship scheme and that companies like Sainsbury's were represented. I learnt that the supermarket has a good apprenticeship scheme, focused around its bakery section and has three Harlow apprentices in our local store. MRB Recruitment, the Army, NHS, Essex Adult Learners, and Harlow College were also on hand to offer advice to job hunters.

After, I had to rush and drive to the Commons for a series of meetings. Not only was it the debate on Foreign Affairs, but the election for the Conservative Backbench 1922 Committee Chairman (this is an influential and important body that represents the views of backbench Tory MPs to the Leadership).

It is a busy time in Parliament at the moment, with all the debates on the Queen's Speech. Next Wednesday is the Education Debate - following the announcement today that all schools would be allowed to become academies and be free from the constraints of local councils. I hope to be able to make my Maiden Speech in this debate, if I am fortunate to catch Mr Speaker's eye.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment