Monday, February 22, 2010

Problems for Nazeing residents




To St Giles Church in Nazeing thie evening, to attend a Police Safety Partnership meeting organised by Epping Forest District Councillor Richard Bassett (Lower Nazeing). It was clearly a popular initiative as many members of the public turned up and were given the opportunity of one to one conversations with police officers.

Speaking to most residents present, the same subject came up again and again. Alleged anti-social behaviour from a particular family, in a particular street, causing misery for numerous residents. Cars had been damaged or stolen, people shouted at, houses damaged and much more besides. It didn't matter who I spoke to, it seemed everyone had suffered from the alleged actions of the youths and friends of this family. There seemed to be a lot of feeling that the Police could do more more than they had done to deal with the situation, and some criticisms of what they perceived to be 'a lack of action' by the relevant authorities.

I felt deeply for these residents, feeling that the law-abiding are so often let down by the 'system'. Why should people who do the right thing, who just want to get on with their daily lives, be threatened by anti-social behaviour - by swearing, theft and intimidation? I certainly will be doing all I can to help the residents on this issue, and will be contacting police and other authorities on their behalf. I am glad that they have Cllr. Bassett, already working hard on their behalf.

The picture shows me with Richard, and local resident Yolanda Knight.

by Robert Halfon - www.roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment