
Unbelievable but true. According to the
Daily Mail newspaper today, the
Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency are selling our license details to private clamping companies, making a profit of over £40 million. I don't remember being asked, if my private information could be sold in this way. It seems incredible that the Agency, that is supposed to keep our details confidential, is at liberty to sell driver's details to these kind of companies. Many car clamping organisations behave incredibly badly towards motorists, who may have committed a small parking error, and are often made to suffer by paying an extortionate financial penalty.
I have been victim to clamping on two occasions when I forgot to display a permit. Showing the correct permit to the clamping company was to no avail, and I had to fork out over £100 in order to free my car.
The truth is that clamping companies are a menace. In my view, the only people who should be allowed to clamp cars, should be the police, and even that should be done sparingly. There should be an urgent review as to the way in which clampers work. Moreover the selling of our own private data to such companies by the Government should be stopped immediately.
I totally agree with you. How dare this government agency - so, effectively our government - even disclose, let alone sell our data to anyone. It's outrageous.
ReplyDeleteThough no more outrageous than the amount of intrusive surveillance in UK: we are just 1% of the world's population, yet we are spied on by around 25% of the world's CCTV cameras. Around 2000 official agencies have the right to enter our homes to spy on us too!
Can you believe that UK is even classified in the same category as Russia and China for its 'endemic intrusion' into citizens' lives according to Privacy International.
Gordon Brown and his wretched government clearly believe that they own us citizens. That's one of the many reasons, Mr Brown, that in a few months time the majority of us will be voting you out of our lives forever! I can't wait.
Brown and New Labour have basically turned our government into an undemocratic, control mad, money making scam. Please fight to change this if you are elected, Rob!
ReplyDelete