Saturday, November 28, 2009

Back to Stewards to meet members of the Student Council


I was really pleased to go to Stewards School a few weeks ago to attend an amazing event. It was the school's annual food festival. I walked into a hall, with hundreds of pupils and parents, surrounding different food plates on an assortment of tables. The food cooked came from most countries of the world, and I think I sampled eateries from Ghana to Israel to Mexico. I have to say that I went home, not able to eat any dinner!

Anyway, on Friday, I went back to Stewards, to meet around fifty members of the School Council (all democratically elected by one person, one vote) and chat to them about politics. I was impressed with the calibre of the students - particularly by the range and depth of their questions. These students wanted to know why I was in politics, what made me a Conservative, and what I would try and do for Harlow if I was elected as MP. All the students I met were highly intelligent and cared deeply about our town. They were a credit to young people in Harlow.

Afterwards, I had a good discussion with the Head Teacher Ms Rhonda Murthar. She has been at Stewards for twenty years and is so passionate and dedicated to the school, it is quite an inspiration. With her guidance, alongside the work of the senior team, the school is improving year by year - and is the recipient of all kinds of national and regional awards. I very much look forward to my next visit.

Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

No comments:

Post a Comment