One of the biggest beefs I have had with Government policy on housing targets and building over our green belt, is not just because of environmental considerations - although I care about those deeply.
It is also because of the huge concerns over the lack of financial support for infrastructure development (the building of extra roads, schools and NHS facilities to accompany the extra housing).
But, even more than this, I have real problems in the way these housing targets have been decided. Numbers have been set from Whitehall alongside an assortment of various quangos - from the unelected East of England Regional Assembly, to Regional Development Agencies et al.
I think this is approach is fundamentally wrong. If you are to drastically change housing in an area - such as change the nature of a village by building thousands of houses around it - you have to have the consent of the local people affected, through genuine consultation.
By this I don't mean the sham consultation that usually takes place, such as a few public meetings and the odd road show.
Well, I am glad to say that the policy being developed by Grant Shapps MP, (the Conservative Housing Spokesman), seeks to radically change this. He has developed plans that will radically change how, when and where we decide to build the extra housing that is needed.
First: all the regional quangos and regional spatial strategies will be abolished. Constituents will be given a chance to have a referendum to decide whether they accept housing policy. Parish Councils for example, will be able to hold a referendum, and, if there is 90 percent approval, they will be able to bypass local planning committees. Local housing trusts will be established and allowed to deal directly with developers with powers to decide housing. - in some cases having the power to bypass planning committees.
Second: there will be real incentives for people to accept some extra housing.
The Government would match all council tax receipts on local housebuilding and would match by 125% all receipts on social housing. The money would be given directly back to the local community.
I believe that these proposals will do much to involve local people in decision making - and incentivise communities to grow housing organically. This is far removed from the sweeping hand of big government that imposes hundreds of thousands of extra houses on our communities, with no thought for the feelings of local people.
It will mark the beginning of a real housing revolution across our country.
You can read more about these proposals in the weblinks HERE and HERE
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
No comments:
Post a Comment