.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
I was very privileged today as I was invited to the Oval to watch England V Australia, on the first day of the Fifth Ashes Test. I haven't ever been to watch cricket at the Oval before (although I did once go some years ago to watch Australian Rules - a really crazy game). It was a lovely way to spend a Thursday, and although England didn't play with as much passion as I would have liked, there were moments of inspiration. Although my knowledge of cricket is quite limited (I am more of a football fan), I was pleased to win three bets against my friend Humfrey Malins, former Shadow Home Office Minister and a really kind MP, who is stepping down at this election. The first bet was that England wouldn't make 120 runs before lunch. The second, was that we would lose two wickets before tea and the third that Trott would score more than 10 runs. I was the delighted recipient of 30 pence (each bet was 10 pence)! Of course I was sad to win the first two bets, but couldn't help thinking how nice it would have been to have made the bets at William Hill, with slightly better odds.
One nice thing about the day, was a man who kept playing songs on the trumpet. Even though he was at the other end of the stadium to me, the music that emanated could be heard all around the Oval. English eccentricity at its best. I was later told that the trumpeter may be someone called Bill Cooper, who had been banned from playing at Headingley!
One nice thing about the day, was a man who kept playing songs on the trumpet. Even though he was at the other end of the stadium to me, the music that emanated could be heard all around the Oval. English eccentricity at its best. I was later told that the trumpeter may be someone called Bill Cooper, who had been banned from playing at Headingley!
By Rob Halfon ~ Working hard for Harlow, Hastingwood, Nazeing, Roydon & Sheering. http//roberthalfon.blogspot.com
No comments:
Post a Comment