Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Rak Train

I am a bit late with posting this, but I wanted to let you know about an incredible organisation that I visited last Friday afternoon. Called Raktrain, it has been started by a small group of individuals, one of who, runs the Motorcycle Learning Centre in Edinburgh Way. Its objective is simple: to provide learning opportunities for youngsters (many of them with troubled backgrounds). Raktrain provides first class teaching in Maths, English, Computer Training, as well as taking its students on special boat trips and offering support for army training.

The results are quite remarkable and numerous students have achieved an astonishing array of qualifications. I reproduce the Raktrain figures supplied to me below:

The most recent cohort of twenty learners achieved the following 89 qualifications while on a 22 week programme:

· 14 passes in Key Skills Application of Number Level 1 and Level 2

· 14 passes in Key Skills Communications Level 1 and Level 2

· 18 passes in Key Skills ICT Level 1 and Level 2

· 10 passes in key Skills Working With Others Level 1

· 9 Royal Yachting Association (RYA) Competent Crew Certificates

· 4 RYA Start Yachting Certificates

· 9 First Aid for the Appointed Person Certificates

· 11 Motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) Certificates


Illiteracy and innumeracy rates are quite high in Harlow, and Raktrain is offering invaluable support for young people across the board: for those who, for whatever reason, may have dropped out of conventional education.

The best thing about Raktrain, is that no-one told the individuals concerned to set up this organisation - there was no edict from some Government Agency. It has been established by true social entrepreneurs, by people who believe that whatever one's background, if you have a good education and learn key skills, anything is possible. I couldn't agree more and I will be doing all I can to support Raktrain and all that it does.

P. S. The individuals who behind the success of Raktrain are:
Rob Kelvey - Founder/Course principal, Charlotte Mason - Course co-ordinator, Leon Buteux - Senior tutor and Duncan Peek. they can be contacted on 01279 412378.

By Rob
Halfon ~ Working hard for Harlow, Hastingwood, Nazeing, Roydon & Sheering. http//roberthalfon.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment