

Well Cream Crackered, actually! It is how I feel after a long journey there and back to Norwich today to help Chloe Smith in the Parliamentary By Election there, because of the resignation of the sitting Labour member, Ian Gibson over the expenses scandal. Being a hardened Conservative activist, I have been to many By Elections and went to the historic Conservative victory in Crewe last year.
It was a great atmosphere in Norwich. Four different HQs in all parts of the Constituency, hundreds of party volunteers, and loads of Conservative MPs canvassing, knocking on doors and stuffing leaflets through doors. My job was to sort out hundreds of envelopes in order, so that they could be delivered to homes around Norwich. I have been doing this sort of thing since I was thirteen years old, and it is something I will probably do until I am in my nineties, as politics isn't just a job, its a vocation - its in the blood. It feels good to be part of a cause and to be battling for ideas and policies you believe in.
On the way to Norwich - stopping off at McDonalds by the M11 roundabout, for some excellent scrambled eggs (no bread) and cappucino, I was inwardly grumbling at being stuck in an enormous traffic jam as I entered the M11. After about thirty minutes of snail driving, I saw why. There was an enormous accident on the other side of the road going towards Harlow, with ambulances and police cars a plenty. I immediately felt ashamed at my own thoughts on being stuck in a trafffic jam, when I drove passed the carnage. I reflected how life can change for good or bad within the space of a few seconds, and every moment we are alive and breathing, and free from accident, is really a blessing.
Anyway, despite a good an active day, I was glad to get home this evening. I have another long day tomorrow of community activities, as well as meeting a range of constituents. I am looking forward to the weekend - especially the music festival in Broadwalk on Saturday morning.
P.S. The pictures are of me with some volunteers, and Eric Pickles (MP for Brentwood & Ongar and Conservative Party Chairman).
It was a great atmosphere in Norwich. Four different HQs in all parts of the Constituency, hundreds of party volunteers, and loads of Conservative MPs canvassing, knocking on doors and stuffing leaflets through doors. My job was to sort out hundreds of envelopes in order, so that they could be delivered to homes around Norwich. I have been doing this sort of thing since I was thirteen years old, and it is something I will probably do until I am in my nineties, as politics isn't just a job, its a vocation - its in the blood. It feels good to be part of a cause and to be battling for ideas and policies you believe in.
On the way to Norwich - stopping off at McDonalds by the M11 roundabout, for some excellent scrambled eggs (no bread) and cappucino, I was inwardly grumbling at being stuck in an enormous traffic jam as I entered the M11. After about thirty minutes of snail driving, I saw why. There was an enormous accident on the other side of the road going towards Harlow, with ambulances and police cars a plenty. I immediately felt ashamed at my own thoughts on being stuck in a trafffic jam, when I drove passed the carnage. I reflected how life can change for good or bad within the space of a few seconds, and every moment we are alive and breathing, and free from accident, is really a blessing.
Anyway, despite a good an active day, I was glad to get home this evening. I have another long day tomorrow of community activities, as well as meeting a range of constituents. I am looking forward to the weekend - especially the music festival in Broadwalk on Saturday morning.
P.S. The pictures are of me with some volunteers, and Eric Pickles (MP for Brentwood & Ongar and Conservative Party Chairman).
No comments:
Post a Comment