Given the events of recent weeks, I have come to the view that the only way to assuage public anger about the expenses scandal and broken economy is for a general election to be held now.
Like most people in Harlow and the surrounding villages, I felt a sense of trepidation and outrage when I read all the stories about the expenses of elected Parliamentarians from all Parties.
As prospective candidate I don't get any wages, allowances or expenses from the taxpayer. Even worse than the abuse of expenses is the virtual fraud that has been perpetrated on the taxpayer from MPs allegedly claiming for mortgages that have already been paid. This scandal has done so much to add to the ever-increasing contempt felt by people towards politicians of all colours.
When I go out and about on the doorsteps in Harlow and the villages, some people say to me that 'politicians are all the same' and "if voting changed anything, they would abolish it.
As someone who is standing for a third time in Harlow, I am working hard to prove otherwise. Nevertheless it is going to take a long time to repair this damage and rebuild trust between politicians and the public.
The great tragedy of all this is that there are many honest and decent politicians out there who do work hard in Parliament and for their constituencies, yet they are lumped together with all the rotten apples.
As I have said before, I am pleased that Conservative Party leader David Cameron is taking a strong stance on the expenses saga.
Not only has he ordered any Conservative with questionable expenses to pay the money back, but he has warned that they will be sacked as Conservative MPs if they refuse to do so.
Moreover, Mr Cameron has guaranteed that every Conservative MP should publish all their expenses on-line- something I will be sure to do if elected.
This is a necessary step. The Conservative Party is changing. No individual should be allowed to hold us back from being a proper political movement based on decent values - one which leads by example.
The only way for the situation to be resolved is for a General Election to be called now so people can throw out those who have abused the hard-pressed taxpayer.
I f you agree with me and want an early election, please sign the online petition at http://www.conservatives.com/Campaigns/Sign_for_Change/Petition_Item.aspx
Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
Like you, I would prefer it if some MPs - far too many of them - were not abusing the spirit and, in some cases, even the rules, governing MP's expenses. The abuse involved in this 'Scamelot' scandal, as the American media are calling it, has badly undermined our democracy and public confidence in politicians. It has also made Uk the laughing stock of the world.
ReplyDeleteI'm pleased, however, with David Cameron's prompt and tough response to this. PM Brown's response has been shamefully lacking by comparison.
I also totally agree with David Cameron Cameron and many others too that we must have a General Election NOW!
ReplyDelete