Sunday, April 19, 2009

Celebrating St George's day





Most Saturdays, I go around Harlow campaigning and yesterday was no exception. A team of us, were out and about in Broadwalk, in advance of St George's Day on Thursday 23 April. We were handing out special St George's day cards and posters, which were so popular, thousands were given out over a few hours.
I passionately believe that St George's Day, should be a public holiday, and to this end, I am also delivering a St George's Day Card to every home in Harlow and the surrounding villages of Hastingwood, Nazeing, Roydon and Sheering. The Card has a tear-off slip/petition form, which invites people to sign a petition and send it back to me. If, as expected, we get a good response, we plan to present the Petition in Westminster.
What was great about our efforts on Saturday, was not just the popularity of the St George's Day materials, but that they were taken, with great enthusiasm, by young and old alike. It is wonderful that there is a renewed sense of English Indentity, that everyone is so proud to be English, and not ashamed to celebrate it. After all, as one local resident said to me in Broadwalk "everyone else celebrates their special days, why shouldn't the English be allowed to as well". I heartily agree.
If I don't see you before, Very happy St George's Day for 23 April.
P.S. Have a look at this site for some great downloads.
Rob Halfon ~ Working hard for Harlow, Hastingwood, Nazeing, Roydon & Sheering. http//roberthalfon.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Well done for publicising St George's Day, Rob. There's been much growth of interest in celebrating our national saint's Day in recent years and that interest appears to have grown to all time heights this year.

    Where ever in the country I travel, pubs and shops are celebrating St George's Day and to a more exuberant extent that I've ever previously known. That has to be the result of a very welcome resurgence in national pride. Good for the English and for the people of England, where ever in the world they come from, for that too.

    It's high time we found our national pride again, put an end to government led put downs of England and stood up to the government for treating the people of England as second class citizens. I personally would like England to have its own parliament.

    ReplyDelete